Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Parade of People

The sun came out today and it was a welcome sight. People seem happier and have taken advantage of the break in the rain to get out and about. I've got a good street view at the office and also at home... and so I watch people.

The kids skip and ride bicycles. Sidewalk chalk and creativity have made pretty awesome works of art. Young moms are getting exercise with babies in strollers and dogs in tow. An elderly neighbour gets out with his walker and shuffles down the block. I hope the four guys running past are just late for a softball game.

Each step we take is part of the journey of life. Our paths are different, even if we seem to be heading in the same direction. There are those of us who are impatient to reach the destination. I have trouble enjoying the stuff that comes between Point A and Point B. Not that there's a lack of adventure there. But I'm better on home turf most of the time. I want to go exploring on my own terms.

Life's not like that. There are twists and turns and unexpected obstacles or blessings, and I need to be ready for detours. God knows the way and He never leaves me. My job is to walk confidently as He leads.

These past months I've sensed changes ahead. Undefined, unexplored paths to take. Not sure where they will lead. Or when the journey will start. Scary but also exhilarating change. It all starts with one step.

Which takes me back to the parade down my street. You have to wonder where these folks are headed. Not on their trek around the community, but in life. Are they walking confidently or are they feeling lost with all the challenges in the journey? Do they know my Savior is ready to walk with them? How will I start to show them the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment