Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ordinary Day Made Special With Friends

Another busy day at work... the usual projects and interruptions... but made special by quick connections with friends.

Some people I've chosen to include in my world. Some have selected me! Still others that I work with - and we've gone way beyond the surface-y work stuff that colleagues share. These relationships are a blessing.

I've also enjoyed the snippets of information and comments from my Facebook friends - there's always something that makes me laugh as we desperately try to sum up a moment of the day for our status updates.

There was an incident today on another "social networking" site that bothered me. I signed up to be able to read blogs of some musicians I follow. Apparently mere mortals aren't allowed to get the news unless we're in "community!" Less than 20 minutes from the time I joined, I had a "friend request" from Tim in Florida.

Should I be flattered? Is he that desperate for friends? Or is this the new normal? Making online friends? Nothing that wrong with it, I guess.

Except that too often I don't take time to see the folks I love - those who live nearby - face to face! Nope. Just a quick email. Short phone calls have to make do. Too busy. Meetings each evening. Kids. Dogs. Sports. Forget about coffee together. Just won't happen.

Unless... you make the choice to act. Rearrange your schedule. Grab supper from a drive-thru and rent a movie. Drop in and make yourself at home. Even for a few hours. Make sure to give them a hug. Say, "thanks for being part of my world." Express appreciation for what they mean to you.

Yep, that's the better way to go. Life is short. Say what you need to say to your friends. Spend time together. Work will always be there... house and yardwork too.

I need to get back to basics and nourish my soul with the soothing rain of relationships. That's what's truly important.

If you hadn't guessed... I ignored Tim's friend request. His loss, Ha Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment