Friday, June 26, 2009

Celebrity

This week saw the deaths of Ed McMahon, Farrah (Angel) Fawcett and Michael (King of Pop) Jackson... famous people that many felt they knew... celebrities.

I grew up aware of these people, but I'm not feeling any particular loss. I suppose there is some sympathy for Fawcett's family and friends, but that's more because of the common bond of cancer and the firm hope that the disease is not what ends my life.

What really strikes me about these deaths is what has been revealed about Michael Jackson. The lengths he went to in order to cover his pain and find meaning in life are truly disturbing. The drugs, surgeries, self-indulgence... the poor guy was seriously unhappy. All the fame and money in the world can't buy you love or contentment.

Another thing about celebrity: how do you conduct your life under a microscope? The paparazzi would make me crazy. Everything scrutinized and recorded on film... yikes! What does it say about us that we care what the "stars" are wearing, eating or driving? We drive the feeding frenzy.

I know there are many times when I wish I were more popular, or had extra money for luxuries, but would that make me happier? I doubt it. My life is good. I know who I am and that I am loved. I have all I need... food, shelter, and work to do.

God's love is all encompassing. A relationship with Him fills those empty spaces and makes the need for "stuff" and adoration from people unnecessary. We can be completely content in Him.

Something else: God is omniscient. He knows everything about me - the good, the bad, and the ugly. My thoughts, actions, fears, and dreams. Nothing is hidden from Him. STILL... He loves me. And offers forgiveness. I'm an ordinary girl, but a child of the King of Kings!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, great comments which echo what I was thinking this week as well with the passing of these celebrities.

    ReplyDelete