Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy At Home

Summer television seems to rely heavily on reality shows.

The only ones I watch are the crazy do-it-yourself renovation type series. Or folks jumping into their first home purchase. You watch them try to make the huge decisions about location, price, size, and must-have features.

It's bizarre how I find myself rooting for these strangers to succeed in these ventures.

Nothing comes easily in renovating. Problems are discovered. Compromises are made. Cost overruns are standard. Then the cameras come back months later when they've settled in and voila, everything is amazing.

If only it were that simple. I've never been able to snap my fingers and have rooms accessorized instantly. Even simple decisions such as purchasing a $12 item for the bathroom can cause me stress. Is it necessary? Do I really love it? How much other stuff would require updating if I add this lamp? Shelf? Pillow?

Our quest for "things" literally fills in the quiet spaces. There is a North American discontentment that is visible every time you go to the mall. We generally have way more stuff than we can ever use, but it doesn't stop us from getting more.

Some of the poorest people in the world are completely content and only possess bare necessities for living. I've met these loving, happy people... and they have nothing.

My mission for tomorrow is to purge, recycle and reclaim my space. Use it or lose it. More does NOT equal better. It's time to let a new vision shine through... to catch a breath of fresh air... to push back the walls and get rid of the claustrophobia.

The Bible says God will supply all of my needs. That I can be content no matter what the circumstance - whether in plenty or in want.

I'm ready to simplify. I can share generously from my excess... and maybe I'd better ignore those home-decorating channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment