Monday, June 22, 2009

Stuff 'n Things

Today I won a free book from Bonnie Grove! It's called "Talking to the Dead" and I can't wait to get started. Bonnie made several presentations at the writers' conference I attended recently. Her humour, passion and advice was one of the reasons I started this blog... just to see if I could really get into writing. One thing she preaches is that writers also need to be readers - and that's me. I read voraciously, even when I don't really have time to! Check out Bonnie's blog at http://fictionmatters.blogspot.com/.

"Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?" Thanks for asking. My little plants are doing beautifully! Multi-coloured blossoms welcome me each time I step outside. My tomatoes need to sprout a bit more to make use of their cages, but it will be fun harvesting the fresh fruit later this summer. I also purchased a combination swing/daybed for my backyard. With imagination, it feels like another universe for a few hours.

This weekend my Dad fulfilled a dream of his by purchasing a pretty red used dirt bike! He's looking forward to going out riding with my brother and the grandkids this summer. Dad will celebrate his 70th birthday in August. He had tuberculosis as a kid and wasn't expected to live past age two. I sure hope he stays safe (and that my Mom doesn't worry too much) but he definitely sets a strong example that you're never too old to try something new. If the bike is like past "toys" he'll spend more time fixing it than driving it!

Fresh face to the world - isn't it amazing what a good hair cut will do? My friend and hairdresser fit me in at noon today. I was feeling shaggy and unkempt but she fixed me right up. Of course tomorrow I'll have trouble recreating "the look" but I enjoy the challenge of getting all those hairs to cooperate.

Grieving friends have filled my heart today. One lost a son way too young. The other mourns her mother. There is no way to fill the void left by these precious family members. Caring requires seasons of compassionate action, a simple presence and praying always. I am so grateful that my family remains intact... and that my Heavenly Father is a God of comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment